Tuesday, June 8, 2010

That time I couch surfed through DC: Sept 15-April 4

Photobucket

From September 15-March 31, I interned with Conservation International's Sea Turtle Flagship Program. Initially I was only to be in DC until mid-December, but I was asked to stay on until the end of March after proving that I was worth keeping for a minute or two.

A lot of blog posts should have come out of this trip, and a lot of blog posts may yet, but to get everyone up to date, I have assembled a collage documenting my time in DC.

DC in 20 run-on sentences/fragments:

September 14: Packed everything I own in to Lucy's trunk, drove through the night, slept in CI's parking garage before showering at Caribou Coffee and showing up at CI's offices bright eyed and bushy tailed. Began living in DC. Ate multiple free meals a week care of CI's multiple meetings around lunch and dinner time. Lost my wallet, no access to cash, got third in a dance competition trying to win $100. Made new friends.

Learned about the metro, battled the Orange line many a morn. Drove across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on my way through MD for blue crabs. Went out for Halloween, made my costume for free with CI's printer. Celebrated 15 or so birthdays with Moe's Southwestern Grill. Explored the Mall.

Maxed out on samples at each of DC's farmer's markets. Won a free pair of sandals for being hilarious. Took the train from DC to CT, stopping in NYC. Battled the Blizzard of 2010. Made new friends with DC's Surfriders.

Went skiing for the first time at Wisp. Couldn't figure out how to get free falafels,but ate as many as possible anyway. Lived in my car, DC, NoVA, MD. Helped produce SWOT Report, made a music video. April 4: Drove home.

DC was an incredible test of strength. Strength that stemmed from the support of my friends and family. Without their couches and toilet paper, there is no way I could have made it through.

0 comments:

Post a Comment