Tuesday, July 10, 2007

That time I went to Canada Part 2: Stampedin'

6 July 2007

Did I mention that this week is the week of the Calgary Stampede. It's basically like a Canadian Carnival but instead of masks and religion, there are cowboy hats and chuck wagon races. The whole town shuts down for ten days of drinking and cattle driving, minus the cattle driving. News anchors even wear their western attire on air as they deliver updates on the rodeo and chuck wagon races. Every day there are many live bands, parties and a huge rodeo. More importantly, if you can find yourself in a corporate function, you will find all of the free beer and brisket you could ever want.

(side note: Did you know that Canadian beer has a higher percent alcohol than its American Counterparts?)


Last night, I went to the Stampede's sneak-a-peak night. I fit right in with my black boots, hat, new Wrangler shirt and big belt buckle. The first party of the night was a Conoco Philips party. Stuffed with beef and beans and not quite in a talkative mood, I stood by the bar to make sure everyone, myself included, got enough to drink.

The next party was hosted by Dale's company. It was in a historical town set in the 1800's. It had a steam locomotive that went around the park and a lake with lots of sails boats. Again, open bar, delicious brisket, and live music. The first band was a fiddle band. There were probably 20 fiddlers on stage playing as quick as lightning.

Then came a guy named George Canyon. He was on that Nashville American Idol show and something of a big deal in Canada. After one song I could see why. He had the entire tent two-steppin' and hollerin' for the rest of the night.

I must have looked pretty believable in my cowboy gear because a man I was talking to asked if I was from Conoco which is based in Houston. I kind of nodded and we had a good talk about the oil business and Connie and his kids as well as the bachelor life; the life he apparently wished he was living. As soon as my drink was empty, I excused myself to go get another. He handed me a business card and asked me for mine. I told him that I had forgot to grab more before leaving the hotel, but gave him a number and told him to call me the next time he was in Houston on business. Maybe we could catch an Astro's game and grab a few cold ones...

0 comments:

Post a Comment