Wednesday, July 25, 2007

That time I instadated at the symphony: Some Good Grass

24 July 2007

Two Saturdays ago, Ricky Skaggs and the Kentucky Thunder played with the Columbus Symphony Orchestra on the front lawn of the Chemical Abstracts Building. I decided to ride my bike down to figure out how they mix a bluegrass band with a symphony.

When I got there I learned that it was $22 with no student rate. What's more, they weren't going to let me stand outside the fence because I could still see and hear the music. Bump that. So I make my way down the fence and out of site of gate only to see police officer handing a pair of tickets to two girls over the fence.

As he walked away, I asked, "Man, what do I have to do to get free tickets? Just stand here and look cute?"

One of the girls held out her hand and said that I could have her's but I declined.

"No way. That's a $22 ticket. I am not taking it from you."

Just then the girls took two steps back for a girl-girl conference. Judging by head shakes and hand gestures...Girl A looks to Girl B and tells her she doesn't want to go. Girl B then, with a pleading expression (head tilt, ruffled brow, big eyes, shrugged shoulders) asks her to stay.

All of the sudden they start arguing in what I would later learn to be chinese. For about five minutes they argued as I stood idly by. Finally it stops and Girl A holds out her hand again and says, "Here, Yan would like you to take her to the concert."

What?

Girl B convinces me with a shy smile (would have cracked for less).

I still didn't know what was really going on until after we walked in but it became clear by the Graeter's stand placed next to the entrance that it was going to be an ice cream night (you know I can't keep walking with that black raspberry chip staring me down. More on that in a post to come). Yan wouldn't let me pay. I figured it was the least I could do for the free ticket and all.

Ice cream in hand, we found some good grass in the center of the field and listened to the symphony play the "Hokey Pokey," "The Chicken Dance" and some other "classical pieces." Ricky Skaggs and the Kentucky Thunder came Kentucky Thundering out on stage after a short intermission. They were amazing.

While sitting with Yan, She explained how she knew nothing about bluegrass music so I schooled her up on the pieces I know about it. We noted its similarities to celtic folk music as well as blues and jazz as we took in the melding of the two seemingly incompatable styles. If you get a chance to see a bluegrass band and and a symphony play together, TAKE IT.

Yan was a masters/PhD student at OSU and when I asked about her focus she replied, "I am studying biochemistry. Scary, huh?"

"No actually, as a zoology major and I studied organic as well as biochemistry and quite enjoyed it."

That was apparently the right thing to say because she sat a lot closer for the rest of the night.

After the show I was to meet up with Jerrod, so I walked Yan home, exchanged numbers, took a photo together and had a small kiss. She giggled and ran inside.

Still not sure whether she was my Asian conquest or I was her American conquest. Never heard from her again.

I guess I can check "impromptu date with stranger"off the list...

0 comments:

Post a Comment