Tuesday, July 10, 2007

That time I went to Canada Part 4: A good ride



8 July 2007

While in Canada I wanted to make sure to go mountain biking at Canada Olymic Park. My aunt Kathleen, ski instructor by winter and mountain bike camp counselor by summer at COP, didn't believe that I had ever ridden a bike, much less on dirt so we went on a test run in a local dog park. Besides being a great place to let your dog run off it's lead, it was a great place for some quick off-roading. Kathleen showed me how to use my weight going up and down the hills and when to use which brakes--things that I already sorta knew but never really paid much attention to. For example, when riding down a hill, if braking, don't ride the rear brake because you will skid and lose control. Instead, go light on both breaks and lean over your back wheel. Unless you want to go fast, then it's weight forward, no brakes.

Either way, we were riding along this pretty high ridge and the path was pretty narrow, and when we first went out on to this path my immediate thought was "Wow that would suck to fall off. You wouldn't stop."


So we are riding along, la di da, and all of the sudden I jerk the wheel a bit to the right over a tree root and as a reflex, correct it by turning to the left.

There was nowhere to go on the left. Over the edge I go.


















Yaaaaaaa-hoo-hoo-hoo-hooey!!!

I kind of sideways go-go-gadget ejector seated the bike, somehow found my way to my ass after rolling and somersaulting down the hill and slide down probably ten or so meters. Finally there was a small bush that I was able to grab on to stop myself from sliding the rest of the way down the cliff.

When I finished, both sliding and cursing, I made sure to yell up to Kathleen because she probably thought she had killed me and wouldn't have been able to see me through all the brush and trees.

After collecting myself, I had to climb all the way back up splintered ass and all. I couldn't just walk it either, I had to grab on to bushes and tree roots and climb my way, hanging on for dear life. When I finally got to my bike I had to lift it over my head to get it up to the ledge we were riding. With the bike frame high as I could reach and a not so strong footing, I almost fell backwards down the hill again. Luckily, Kathleen was able to grab the bike and I was able to get back up to the ledge. Deciding that I was good to go, we rode back (standing up) so I could ice my ass.

All in all a good ride.

0 comments:

Post a Comment